26TEN Tasmania is a long-term strategy for all Tasmanians who want to live in a state where all adults have the reading, writing, numeracy and communications skills they need for life.
The 26TEN network was born out of the Tasmanian Adult Literacy Action Plan 2010-2015. 26TEN now sets out its goals in the Action Plan for 2015-2017:
- Goal 1. Everyone knows about adult literacy and numeracy
- Goal 2. Everyone is supported to improve their skills and to help others
- Goal 3. Everyone communicates clearly
In 2010 David Bartlett, who was then Premier, launched the Tasmanian Adult Literacy Action Plan 2010-2015.
The Plan sets out actions in relation to three strategies for improving the literacy skills of Tasmanians:
- The establishment of an informal community and workplace network of adult literacy support.
- The establishment of a state-wide team of coordinators supported by a pool of trained volunteers to drive the Adult Literacy Network.
- The development of key indicators to measure improvements in adult literacy support and outcomes.